Thursday, January 12, 2006

first listen


Trouble in LaLa land, reel one
Originally uploaded by aroid.
I heard two songs today for the first time, both of which promise to stay burned in the psyche for good: Dylan's 'Blind Willie McTell' and Brian Wilson's 'Love and Mercy'. Something sacred happens when you hear a great song for the first time. It's like meeting someone who's destined to be your close friend. You don't know them, but you know you will. And rather than take up valuable memory on your hard-drive, great songs generate space in which to breathe and stretch and dance to a different tune. Classic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brett Jordan said...

I'm going to have to do you a Dylan compilation CD, he really is a genius... I can remember the first time I listened to Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde... incredible... and, while I'm at it, buy Brian Wilson, Live at the Roxy Theatre, find a spare hour or two and listen to it right the way through... a very damaged man with a sublime gif of healing... hey, there's a sermon in there somewhere...

9:50 AM  
Blogger briandraper said...

Well, yes, the first time I listened to Blonde on Blonde was amazing. I'm not a complete Dylan philistine; though I still have much to learn.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mark A Savage said...

The head in my Upper School years, Mr Williams, was a complete Dylan groupie, Brian and Brett, and built many an assembly on the lyrics of the better known songs such as "Times, they are a changin". Not quite a sermon, but the message has stuck with me years later so clearly there's genius in that Zimmerman's insights!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home